Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Airport Shops

Since I had to travel to Wisconsin this week, I decided to venture into the realm of post-security airport shops.  I always seem to get to the airport early anyway, and this way I can grab a bite to eat, a cup of coffee and perhaps something to read on the plane, all on someone else's dime. 

The first thing I found out is that if you're going to do (post-security) airport shops, you need to know what areas of the airport you will actually have access to.  In some airports, you can go anywhere once you have a ticket.  In other airports, there might be separate security checkpoints for different terminals.

After signing up for three airport shops at Orlando International Airport, I quickly learned when I arrived that while I could access "Airside 2 and Airside 4," I could not get anywhere near "Airside 1."  It was only by sheer luck that all three shops I had accepted were in Airside 4.  Phew!  In this case, I was lucky enough to grab my caffeine, something to eat, a bottle of water, a puzzle magazine and a new pack of batteries without spending a dime.  I received generous payments on top of the goodies I was able to buy.  I think I'm going to like this airport shopping!

Since the company I'm consulting with has decided to send me to Baltimore (yay!) instead of back to Orlando on Thursday, I quickly signed up for some more airport shops ... but not before checking the airport map this time.  I was able to score another cup of coffee and a dining shop.  Needless to say, if you are a frequent traveler, this is a gold mine.  The competition is scarce since only ticketed passengers or those shoppers with permanent access can complete the shops.  Even if you are traveling for pleasure rather than business, depending on where you are going, it is completely feasible for airport shops to pay a substantial portion of your travel expenses.

So check it out, travelers!  Sign up for some airport shops at http://www.ishopforyou.com/ (Ann Michaels and Associates), http://www.bareinternational.com/http://www.intellishop.com/,  http://www.marketforce.com/.  I am sure there are other companies offering airport shops, so feel free to add to the list if you are reading this!

2 comments:

  1. I know of a few other companies:
    www.BeyondHello.com, www.kernscheduling.com, www.summitscheduling.com, and hum, that is all I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete