Monday, June 18, 2012

The Big, Bad City



I just got back from a business trip to our nation's capital.  I'm not sure what I expected, but I didn't expect what I experienced at all.  Everyone always says how dangerous it is in Washington.  "Are you sure you want to go there?"  "It's kinda scary."  "What if you get shot?"  Huh???  I armed myself with a brand new pepper spray and boarded my flight with a great deal of trepidation.  Even more scary was the fact that I was renting a car and driving through downtown Washington DC all by myself.  What if I got lost in a 'bad' area?  What if I got carjacked?

So it was anticlimatic when I made it all the way up New York Avenue to my hotel just north of Dupont Circle without any mishaps.  I'd seen scarier things in Deland, FL.  Actually, the worst part of the drive was trying to navigate the traffic circles, but even that wasn't bad.

It turns out my hotel was quite charming!  A little jewel amidst all the little embassies of countries I'd never heard of or long forgotten since high school geography.  Just a metro stop away from the rest of Washington, which it turns out was not very big.  I even found a quaint neighborhood restaurant - Rosemary's Thyme Bistro - where I had dinner twice, and I would highly recommend the spinach ravioli if you ever find yourself in the neighborhood.

http://rosemarysthyme.com/

I experienced new things while in Washington, mostly surrounding food.  I had my first food truck experience, and while it was interesting, I have to admit I didn't quite find the food I got from the 'mojo' truck as magical as the long lines led me to believe it would be.  Maybe next time I'll stick to pizza or Italian sausage.  But I wanted to try something new.  The concept was interesting, and the place - Truckaroo - was really neat with over 20 food trucks and a big "beer garden," for lack of a better term.  Really, it reminded me of the Towsontowne Festival on a grander scale.  Meanwhile, Truckaroo happened to be right next to the baseball stadium - home of the Washington Nationals - really? When did that happen? I guess I stopped following baseball when Mike Mussina went off to the Yankees. Traitor.

I discovered a wonderful restaurant - Poste Moderne Brasserie - at the Hotel Monaco that I can't wait to revisit. I think I would make a special trip to DC just to enjoy their food and wine. My plate was so pretty, it was almost a shame I had to eat what was on it.

http://www.postebrasserie.com/

Of course I shopped the Capital Grille while I was there, because how could I pass up all that meat? But really it was my least favorite meal (except the mojo) the entire time I was there. Perhaps I'm becoming a little spoiled, or maybe the competition in Washington is just THAT fierce.  Good wine, though, and better company.



Oh, forgot to mention I did go to Sprinkles in Georgetown - yup, it was a shop - for a dozen free cupcakes. And I hate to say it, but I think I'd rather eat Publix vanilla cupcakes. Sprinkles' cupcakes were pretty, and they had some interesting flavors, but I guess when I think of a cupcake, I want what I want, and it isn't there.

I learned how to ride the metro, how to hail a cab, and I learned three things about Washington in five minutes while enjoying a margarita at a sidewalk cafe. First, no one just walks in Washington. They must be texting, listening to their iPod, talking on the phone, or whatever. It is truly a city of multi-taskers. Second, no one makes eye contact. Period. Third, there are more cabs than people. Oh, and the pepper spray? I never needed it. It was safer walking around Washington at 10:00 at night then it is walking around Astor, Florida, population 2,098.

Can't wait to go back!

P.S. Never saw the White House, but wasn't looking for it, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment