Thursday, July 21, 2011

PJs: The New Career-Wear

Today I am working in a cool, dark bedroom surrounded by cats.  This is the busy time of month for editing.  So I generally hole up in the house somewhere for at least a week and focus on the editing.  No shopping.  No human contact until my husband gets home from work.  Just me and the cats and a bucket of Einstein Bros Bagels.  And PJs.  Lots of PJs.

I have an affinity for pajamas.  I always have.  The first thing that came to mind when I took the editing job was, "I can work in my pajamas."  I actually had a legitimate excuse to buy more pajamas.  I no longer tossed the Kohl's sale ads and 20% off coupons in the trash.  I cleared out another dresser drawer.  I got rid of every suit in my closet except one.  I hinted to my family that pajama-grams would be an awesome birthday or Christmas gift.  My career wardrobe gives new meaning to the term "Business Casual."

I also have a rotating office.  Several years ago, we converted a screened-in porch to a beautiful office, but it's in the back of the house, and it gets quite warm in the summer sun.  So I move around.  Sometimes I work in the spare bedroom, but the treadmill is in there, and when I am not exercising regularly, I get a guilt complex just looking at it.  Sometimes I move into the dining room.  The dining room table is a great work surface; it's large and can comfortably hold my laptop, printer, all my paperwork, and the cats.  Of course, we can't eat off of it.  And I think being in the dining room makes me hungrier anyway.  So this week I am working in the bedroom.  I'm cool, I'm comfortable, I'm focused.  I'm in my Sleep Number bed.  It's my favorite workspace.  If I get tired and want a little afternoon siesta, I don't even have to move.  I just take my computer off my lap and shift a little.

After all, I'm already wearing my PJs.

If you're a mystery shopper with a flair for writing, and you think editing from home in your pajamas might be a good fit for you, let me know.  We might have a position for you at www.a-closer-look.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment